Friday, October 19, 2007

On the way to Nigeria

As bad as the day started with a piroogue driver who tried to cheat us with 10000CFA it ended up with a beautiful boat trip and smiling nigerian friends. After a 2 hrs sleep in officer Aruna`s house we went to Mamfe`s "port", the place where it is possible to hire a pirogue that can take you to the nigerian boarder. The Cameroonian boarder consisted of a huge light blue cloud that flew after us when we were trying to get into the boat. The english-speaking mummy was very upset that we didn`t intend to visit her office and get her stample before leaving her country, but the only worth to see thing in her cabin was to my surprise a billboard about the protection of the Cross-River gorillas. This made that I closed this woman to my heart even if she didn`t help us struggling with tha pirogue driver, but even without her help we managed to get back our 10000CFA. It coasted a one hour shouting with the driver, but I have to admit that I enjoyed to behave the way I would never do at home, and the fact that we got back our money proved that it was worth to do that:) And so did the trip with the pirogue that was one of my best views in Africa. It took us 3 hours to reach the Nigerian land, and those three hours took us to the middle of a never touched rainforest, with trees hanging over the river, tucans flying above our head, and small bamboo huts occasionally hinted between the green plants. All the way I was thinking about our chimps, how happy thay would be in theese trees. I couldn`t stop imaging Caro watching me from the dense forest, hidden somewhere between the branches and lians. I was picturing her again and again at our goodbye, and how she wipped offmy tears. I miss her, and all the chimps so much.





No comments: