Sunday, May 11, 2014

Heaven


The last few blog entries I was writing about how I should train my patience and wether this all waitng will pay off. Well good news: it did. 100%. Actually to have my recompensation I had to change my location, so it's not the waiting itself, but I'm wondering if I could appreciate all the last week as I am now, if I had the same experience from the begining. Cause now I feel like I'm in paradise. I mean I am in paradise. The last rotation we've seen 55 gorillas, 10 elephants and 5 chimps, and this count is for individuals, which means some of them we've seen 2 or 3 times the week. They all come for the same: their favourite italian dish, long grasses dumped in the water rich in salt and minerals, which we simply call spagetti. They come solitary, they come in groups and stay at least half an hour on the clearing pulling out the long grass and washing it in the swampy water. This is how you can imagine it: at the close wing of the clearing you see a group of three elephants digging huge holes to get to the roots, and then you see gorillas arriving and falling into these holes and their babies clinging onto their mothers in order to not get drown in these "huge lakes" and next to them you see the sitatungas lying and refreshing themselves in the water, and then you get another group of elephants coming at the far wing of the clearing, this time it's a group of five with a male baby and a female juvenile and their mothers and sisters, and you have the buffalos moving away from their way and you're hearing the birds around you, the pygmy calao, souimangas, bulbuls singing and you just say to yourself that yez, this is heaven. If anyone asked me how heaven looks like I would paint exactly this picture, or well, maybe I miss the chimps, but then just at the momentI think of it I take a look in the telescope, and at first I don't even realize what I see, I just recognize that I know this face, but something is wrong... wait a minute, it should be gorillas here, so I double check, but I was right... there... at the far wing of the clearing I see chimps coming, in a line, they are five, an adult male, a female with the baby and two juveniles. They are on the ground, foraging, picking up seeds, drinking water, chilling out in peace... Just like heaven...

copyright ECOBIO/Université de Rennes

copyright ECOBIO/Université de Rennes
copyright ECOBIO/Université de Rennes

copyright ECOBIO/Université de Rennes

copyright ECOBIO/Université de Rennes

No comments: